This guide is limited in scope to selected books and reports from the CAMH Library, supplemented with web resources, directory information and journal articles. Its purpose is to serve as an introduction and overview of the topic, and to provide useful contacts for those living and working in the Toronto area.
Finding More Resources
For more resources, search the CAMH Library Catalog.
Use keywords like homeless* or housing in Title or
homeless in Subject.
Also try the CAMH Library Google Custom Search to find web resources.
For research studies on key initiatives and strategies,
- Use terms like "housing first" or "at home/chez soi" when searching databases like PubMed or Google Scholar.
- Try the Li Ka Shing Database, CRICH, St. Michael's Hospital. You can select Homelessness, Housing & Health.
Definitions used in Housing:
There are many terms used to describe types of accommodation and housing for those affected by poverty, mental health and or substance use. Here are some sources to check.
Consult the Glossary in the CAMH Housing Guide 2004-2006. (Although this directory is no longer current, it is still a useful resource).
It is available to consult in the CAMH Library.
Call number: RC 448 .C34 H68 2005
From Housing Connection:
See housing related terminology at:
Creative Commons image via Kalense Kid at flickr.com
Housing in Toronto
Finding Housing in the GTA:
- Toronto Mental Health & Addictions Supportive Housing Network
Provides a Housing Unit Registry. Housing application form is available.
- City of Toronto Housing Webpage
Includes Housing Services and Homelessness Services.
See Daily Shelter Census.
- CAMH Clinicians- see the Intranet Housing page.
Provides information on legal rights, tips for house hunting and external links to answer key questions.
- Co-operative Housing Federation of Toronto
Information and contacts for finding non profit housing.
Strategies for Toronto:
- Golden, A. (1999). Taking responsibility for homelessness: an action plan for Toronto: report of the Mayor’s Homelessness Action Task Force. Toronto: City of Toronto. HV 4510 .O5 T34 1999.
- Wellesley Institute. (2006). The Blueprint to End Homelessness in Toronto
See Action Plan and Framework documents.
Current City of Toronto initiatives:
CAMH Library Google Custom Search
For more Web resources, try the CAMH Library Google Custom Search on this page.
Open Access availability. Also can be purchased: print, PDF or ePub.