Search the Patient & Family Learning Centres Catalogue
UHN Brochures, Mobile Apps, and Other Resources
UHN Patient Education Documentation Guide 2019
This guide aims to:
- Identify the elements of patient education that are most important to document
- Provide examples of patient education documentation
- Encourage the documentation of patient education as standard practice
Pamphlets and Handouts
AccessMedicine Patient Education Handouts
- Grouped by Adult, Pediatric, Medicines, or Acute
- The Pediatric section includes handouts written specifically for Teens
- Organized alphabetically by condition and/or medical device
- The handout can be printed, downloaded as a PDF, or emailed
- With an account, the handout can be customized with a personal message before distributing to the patient
BMJ Best Practice Patient Leaflets
- Leaflets are organized A-Z by condition, or grouped by Specialty area
- More visually appealing and written in plain language, which may be more accessible than the handouts from AccessMedicine
- Clearly state the date of last revision
- Useful for patients seeking more detailed or specific information
- Can be browsed by Publication or searched using CINAHL Subject Headings or keywords
- Includes information presented in different formats, such as: biography, anecdote, cartoon, games, and poetry
PEN (Practice Based Evidence for Nutrition)
- A Canadian database developed by the Dietitians of Canada
- Contains patient handouts on breastfeeding, food sources and nutrients, health conditions, and nutrition over the lifespan
- Has 'My Menu Planner' and 'EatTracker', as well as other tools and calculators designed to help patients make healthy evidence-based decisions about nutrition
- Features information tailored to particular groups, such as Indigenous peoples, vegetarians, or those with specific food allergies
Primal Pictures contains some of the worlds most medically accurate and detailed 3D graphic renderings of human anatomy which are based on medical imaging data
- Features real-time, fully interactive 3D models of human anatomy
- 3D Atlas images can be viewed on mobile devices
- Available in 7 languages
Cultural Competence Education for Practicing Physicians: Lessons in Cultural Humility, Nonjudgmental Behaviors, and Health Beliefs Elicitation
Kutob, R. M., Bormanis, J. , Crago, M. , Harris, J. M., Senf, J. and Shisslak, C. M. (2013), Cultural Competence Education for Practicing Physicians: Lessons in Cultural Humility, Nonjudgmental Behaviors, and Health Beliefs Elicitation. J. Contin. Educ. Health Prof., 33: 164-173
Communicating with Clinicians: The Experiences of Surrogate Decision‐Makers for Hospitalized Older Adults
Torke et al. (2012). Communicating with Clinicians: The Experiences of Surrogate Decision‐Makers for Hospitalized Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc, 60(8): 1401-1407.
UHN Patient & Family Learning Centres Locations
The Peter and Melanie Munk Patient Learning & Experience Centre is on Level 1 of the Norman Urquhart (NU) Building, near the Pharmacy and Tim Horton's.
The Princess Margaret Patient Learning & Experience Centre has been temporarily moved to the 2nd floor of 610 University Avenue (North West Atrium, just outside the Hematology Clinic).
The Paul B. Helliwell Patient Learning & Experience Centre is located on the 1st floor of the West Wing.
Working with Diverse Patient Populations
Diversity and Mediation Services
Promotes organizational initiatives which foster an environment inclusive of diverse identities, unique perspectives, and experiences.
Offers dispute resolution, advice, coaching, and diversity learning.
Black History Month Committee
- Promotes the interests and increases awareness and understanding of equity issues related to Black and racialized communities at UHN.
- Fosters respect for the voices, interests and issues of LGBTQ+ communities that provide or access UHN's services.
UHN Accessibility Council
- The responsibilities of this committee include consulting with people with disabilities and preparing UHN’s accessibility plan.
- The Patient Partner Program recruits, selects, orients and matches patients & family caregivers of UHN in the role of a Patient Partner, to work with staff on specific UHN initiatives, committees and activities that enhance and improve the quality and safety of care
- A database of drug and therapy information compiled by the Canadian Pharmacists Association
- Provides current Health Canada Advisories (recall and safety alerts) as well as CPS Notifications (important product updates)
- Includes Lexi-Interact drug interaction checker
- Features directories for drug manufacturers, Poison Control Centres, and Canadian health organizations
Drug Information Portal
- Drug information provided by the U.S. National Library of Medicine and other governmental agencies; primarily U.S.-based information
- Resources are categorized by audience, including the public, health professionals, researchers, and librarians
- Links to other NLM Resources, such as MedLinePlus
Natural Medicines (Therapeutic Research Centre)
- Contains over 1200 monographs on natural ingredients, including vitamins, herbs, minerals, non-herbal supplements, naturally sourced chemical compounds, and foods
- Over 200 monographs covering a wide range of complementary and alternative treatment topics, including specialized diets and therapies
- Includes tools such as Interaction Checker, Nutrient Depletion Checker, and Pregnancy & Lactation Checker
Global Drug Reference Online (DRO)
- Provides athletes and support personnel with information about the prohibited status of specific substances under the rules of sport based on the current World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Prohibited List.
- Search by sport or user type, including: Athlete, Coach, Parent, Medical Professional, Pharmacist and Sports Administer
Recommended Reads from UHN Health Science Libraries
The Doctor's Communication Handbook by
Publication Date: 2014-05-09
Patient-Centred Medicine in Transition by
Publication Date: 2014-01-27
The purpose of the book is to stimulate thinking about how patient care and safety may be improved through a focus upon the 'non-technical' work of doctors - interpersonal communication, teamwork and situation awareness in teams.
See Me As a Person by
Publication Date: 2012-09-15
This national award winning book offers guiding principles and a practical methodology that facilitate the clinician's ability to form authentic relationships which improve patient safety and the overall experience of care.
Transcultural Health Care by
Publication Date: 2008-01-24
The Purnell twelve-step model is used to examine more than 30 ethnically diverse population groups from a health care perspective, providing a unique perspective on the implications for patient care.
What Patients Say, What Doctors Hear by
Publication Date: 2018-02-06
The single most powerful diagnostic tool is the doctor-patient conversation. However, what patients say and what doctors hear are often two vastly different things. Dr. Ofri explores the high-stakes world of doctor-patient communication that we all must navigate.
For Library Staff
Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts (LISTA)
Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts (LISTA) indexes more than 560 core journals, nearly 50 priority journals, and nearly 125 selective journals; plus books, research reports and proceedings. Subject coverage includes librarianship, classification, cataloging, bibliometrics, online information retrieval, information management and more. Coverage in the database extends back as far as the mid-1960s.