- ORCID iD is not created automatically. Therefore, it is fully owned and controlled by the researchers.
- ORCID is not a social media platform, nor a profile system, nor an online CV, nor content repository, or personal website and therefore;
- there is not any risk of copyright infringement because you do not upload any papers;
- the content is not limited to the coverage of the database;
- it is yours. It is persistent and not attached to any institutions;
- it does not provide research metrics. However, it could facilitate obtaining the metrics.
- You can still link your ORCID iD to other identifiers. To learn more, visit https://support.orcid.org/hc/en-us
The main goals of ORCID are:
- to provide a unique and persistent identifiers to disambiguate researchers.
- to provide a hub for synchronising machine-readable and interoperable connections between identifiers and research activities (using Open API).