PPSC Terms of Reference
The Professional Practice Subcommittee supports Consortium members' adherence to and promotion of professional standards in health science library services. It offers opportunities for professional development and a forum for the support and exchange of resources and knowledge to support good practice. The subcommittee also works to assist members in communicating the importance of the health science information professional's skills and knowledge, as well as the critical role library and information services plays in achieving excellence in patient care, research and teaching in member institutions.
- Plan and host an annual Professional Practice Day for members to share tools and ideas for promoting library services and learn more about a selected theme based on emerging technologies or practices.
- Plan and host / co-host workshops and events to support the development of competencies for library staff in our member institutions.
- Maintain a compilation of documents and other resources that support the value of hospital and health library services and document current best practices and guidance in providing such services.
- Monitor standards for library services and core competencies for library positions, both national (Accreditation Canada, CHLA-ABSC) and international (MLA) and communicate with members regarding adherence to these standards.
- Maintain a space for our members to share information and tools, which may be customized for use in our members’ environments.
- Conduct a periodic needs assessment to aid in the planning of the subcommittee’s work
Membership is open to all staff in Consortium member libraries to a maximum of 10 members.
A chair will be chosen from among the subcommittee’s members and will serve for a maximum of three years.
Meetings will be held quarterly, with other business being conducted by email. Meetings are open to all Consortium members.
For a listing of events, meeting minutes and past presentations, click here.