Making an appointment
Plan ahead. UHN's Archives have three separate locations and are open to both external and internal researchers by appointment only. Research appointments are only available on Mondays and same-day service is not offered.
Before Contacting the Archives
- Consider: What type of information do I hope to find? What is the name of the individual, corporation or department that created the information I am looking for?
- Am I looking for patient or health records, or birth information? Please contact Health Record Services.
- Check available secondary sources (i.e. history books or any other published print or online materials)
- Check recent hospital publications such as annual reports available on UHN's public website.
- Consult the Archeion Database to determine if the UHN Archives has the records you're looking for. (Using the Archeion database)
- Are you looking for general records or for records of personal information held by UHN but which are not in the Archives or online? Please make an access request through Freedom of Information.
Preparing for your Visit
- Consult our FAQ.
- Contact the Archivist. An initial consultation will help do several things:
- help refine your research question and determine whether or not an actual visit to the Archives is necessary.
- help identify other sources that could either complement your research or better answer your question.
- Plan ahead. UHN's Archives have three separate locations and are open to both external and internal researchers by appointment only. Research appointments are only available on Thursdays and same-day service is not offered.
Researchers are responsible for conducting their own research. Under special circumstances, if you are unable to visit the Archives to conduct your own research, and you have a specific question about a particular subject, individual or archival holding, we will be pleased to attempt to answer it. Due to staffing and time constraints we are unable to undertake extensive research assignments.
||Digital Image Scanning*
|$0.50 per page
||$15.00 per image
First 30 minutes free for all clients.
For UHN Staff: $40/hour or portion thereof to a maximum of 3 hours. Internal clients would need to provide Cost Centre Numbers; any exceptions would require approval in advance of service.
No additional research services for external clients.
* Please note: Image files are sent via UHN’s file share. The Archives will only provide scans, not prints. Reproduction services are the client’s responsibility.