Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
E-Books, E-Audiobooks & More
About the UHN E-Book Collection for Patients and Families
E-Book Collection for Patients and Families includes electronic resources on a variety of health and wellness topics that can be easily accessed on a smart phone, tablet, personal computer, and laptop.
Popular health topics include:
Some of the popular wellness topics are:
A special part of our e-book collection is Mayo Clinic Health Letter, which provides the latest health and research news from the Mayo Clinic.
In addition to the resources in English, we also have electronic resources in:
Our resources come in different formats. You can choose between reading an e-book, listening to an e-audiobook or watching a video.
What Are E-Books
E-books are the electronic version of printed books that can be read on computers, smart phones, tablets, and devices designed specifically for reading electronic versions of printed books, i.e. e-readers.
The most widely used e-book file formats are PDF and EPUB.
- The EPUB format is specifically designed for e-books. E-books in EPUB format can be open on smart phones, tablets, computers, laptops, and e-readers.
- E-books in PDF format can be open on nearly every device, but not on smart phones and tablets.
There are different reading options when you borrow an e-book:
- PDF - You can download and read PDF titles on a computer or an e-reader using Adobe Digital Editions, free software. Unlike EPUBs, PDFs are not compatible with the OverDrive app. This means that you will not able to download e-books in PDF format to your iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch).
- EPUB - You can download and read EPUB e-books on all devices.OVERDRIVE READ - You can read in your browser. No software or downloads are required to read OverDrive Read e-books.
What Are E-Audiobooks
E-audiobooks are recorded books that can be played on a computer, smart phone or tablet.
E-audiobooks are similar to the audiobooks on CDs and cassette tape, but can be downloaded to your personal device.
There are different listening options when you borrow an e-audiobook:
- OVERDRIVE LISTEN: You can play the e-audiobook in your browser with an active internet connection. No software or downloads are required to listen to OverDrive Listen audiobooks
- MP3: Download and listen to MP3 audiobooks using the OverDrive app (available for Windows and mobile devices.
What Are Streaming Videos
Streaming videos are videos that can be accessed and watched on the internet in real time.
Streaming videos cannot be downloaded, so you will need an internet connection to watch them.
Depending on the device you are using, streaming videos will play either in the OverDrive app (on Android, iOS, devices) or right in your web browser (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Internet Explorer 10 and newer, or Safari).
Adopted from www.overdrive.com.